Sunday 23 September 2012

Names I Have Called the Canberra Raiders This Year



I have called the Raiders many things this year. This is what happens when you have a very loosely edited blog serving as a dumping-ground for your unconscious. You liken your team, often unfavourably, to a great variety of… things. It’s okay though. I love them.  
They make me foam at the eyes. They make my face turn an unhealthy shade of puce. They make me snap phrases such as “do I look like I had a good weekend?” Basically, they are a team that throws up regular challenges to one’s faith, endurance and sanity. I love them for this*. As such, and in the interests of my emotional equilibrium, we share an understanding and open relationship that allows a free-flow of opinion and emotion. It’s a bit one-sided, our dialogue, but that’s okay too. They’re busy. Busy doing whatever the hell it is anyone does there in that capitalist wasteland Canberra. Busy BEING AWESOME.

Some of the things I have likened the Canberra Raiders to / called the Canberra Raiders this year:
A Russian novel
A country song
A broke down busted fairground
The foolish interlopers who while looking for gas or directions are set upon by marauding hillbillies and raped every which way in one of those seventies exploitation movies
Unsuccessful contestants in a game of Catch The Oily Pig
Refugees from a Dickens novel
Perpetrators of my regular and alarmingly violent tension headaches
A third-world country with third world hygiene standards
Boil-ridden degenerates (see above)
1980s Warsaw
Courtney Love at her messiest
Old men sucking Werthers Originals
Clam chowder
A busted arse
The best team to follow in the comp bar none

 I miss them already.

 *It’s like Seinfeld’s ya gotta see the bayyybee woman says while changing her ugly baby’s shitty nappy. “But because it comes out of your baby it smells good!”


No comments:

Post a Comment